On the road again!

May 28th, 2013

Finally, on my March 25th (my Birthday), I got the safety inspection done. It was much easier than it has been in the past now that the car is registered as an EV.
It has been 12 years since it was last inspected.
It’s great to have the car back on the road again.
Now to finish all of the little (and big) details!

The adapter plate is done!

May 20th, 2011

The motor is finally back in the garage.  The adapter plate came out great.  It all seems to line up quite well and looks beautiful.  I haven’t decided yet if I’m going to have it anodized.

I had to mill two spacer rings.  The first one was a tiny bit short and the ring gear was rubbing against the bell housing a tiny bit.  The second one seems perfect.

I also fabricated a ring clamp to go around the motor and welded a plate to it that I can bolt the intermediate shaft to.  The transmission that I am installing is from an Acura Integra with a B-series motor.  The integra has equal length half shafts.  To make the half shafts equal length, there is an intermediate shaft between the left side of the transmission and the half shaft on the left side.  It normally bolts to the engine block.

My plan is to also weld a mounting point for the drivers side motor mount onto the ring clamp.

Hopefully I’ll have some pictures up soon of the motor in the car!

Almost done with the milling.

December 15th, 2010

Just a little bit more work to go. I have to finish up the chamfers and then it should be ready to test fit. I still have to make a spacer to go between the plate and the motor to get the spacing between the flywheel and the transmission right.

Milling the outside of the adapter.

December 13th, 2010

I started milling the other side today. It’s fun to see the picture that I drew on the computer emerge from the big block of aluminum (and to see more chips of aluminum fly everywhere).

Making aluminum chips!

December 9th, 2010

On Monday I finally bit the bullet and started cutting the adapter plate.  I’ve had the aluminum sitting around for more than 2 years but have been too afraid to start cutting it until I was sure that the hole pattern was correct.

So, Monday I started off by facing the piece off with a 3/4 carbide end mill and then cutting out the recess in the back (the transmission side).  Then I switched to some smaller end mills to cut the holes for the bolts and dowels.  I had to use some extra long end mills to make it through the inch and a quarter plate which caused some problems.  The quarter inch end mill was quite flexible and had a habit of deflecting when plunging or taking deep cuts.  It also tended to chatter quite easily.

After cutting all of the holes a few chamfers, I switched to a 1/2 inch end mill and cut out the center and the perimeter leaving about five thousandths of an inch of stock remaining.  Then I removed the plate from the mill, flipped it over and gave it a whack with a dead blow and it tore right out.

It fits!  The dowel holes were about 2mm too shallow but that’s pretty easily fixed.  Everything seems to line up pretty well.  Now to flip it over and machine the other side (which is only for cosmetic and weight reduction reasons).  All of the precision holes are done.

It only took two and a half years!

Finally getting accurate bolthole locations for the adapter

November 15th, 2010

I have finally gotten the touch probe hooked up to the CNC mill. Today I took apart the transmission so that the bell housing half would fit on the table and used the touch probe to get all of the bolt hole locations. It worked great! The probe seems to be repeatable to within a few ten thousandths. Now I’m using a laser in the spindle to record some locations from the perimeter of the transmission to get the outline for the adapter plate.

Nathan’s Halloween Costume

October 31st, 2010

Nathan's R2D2 Costume

Nathan wanted to be R2D2 for Halloween this year, then he didn’t and I thought I wasn’t going to be making a costume this year, then he did again.  So, here it is.  It’s made from Tyvek, a clothes hamper and various tapes (duct tape, electrical tape, Tyvek tape).  It came out pretty good.  A little cumbersome to walk in though (especially up and down steps).

Adapter plate mockup

January 31st, 2010

I’m finally making some progress on the adapter plate. I have machined a mockup out of MDF. Now I have to verify the pattern before I start machining it out of aluminum. Things have been going kind of slow since I only get down to the shop once a week and I’ve been spending quite a bit of time getting the mill running well.

preliminary adapter plate design

June 12th, 2008

I drew up a design for the adapter plate in SolidWorks.  I think it is pretty much done.  I will have to verify the thickness before I cut it out.  I will put the coupler on the motor and measure how much it is sticking out from the face of the motor.  I may make the tapered hole in the back of the coupler a little deeper to allow the bushing to seat in a little further to get the whole assembly a 1/4″ or so shorter.

This was my first foray into using SolidWorks and I have to say that it’s a pleasure to use.  If only it was a Mac OS application and not so ridiculously expensive.

In the past I have used Rhino for things like but it makes it much more difficult to go back and change things.  With this drawing could modify things like the thickness of the ribs by just changing one number.

 

Finally have a coupler that looks good.

June 4th, 2008

I finally decided that the way to go was to make a coupler that accepts a QD bushing and bolts to the back of the flywheel.

I drew the part up a couple of times in Rhino until I got it the way I wanted and then decided to draw it up in the emachineshop.com software to see how much it would cost to have them fabricate it.

Read the rest of this entry »